We have all heard about benefits of chia seeds as a functional food or a functional ingredient. Chia seeds not only contain omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, protein, etc., but they also give a feeling of satiety, which basically mean, it tricks your brain into thinking you are full!
My obsession with Chia seeds started when I decide to make my Sourdough with Chia Seeds and had too much moistened chia seeds left over. Secret, not secret, that's how I ended up experimenting with chia seeds puddings and honestly, now I'm hooked!
This pudding barely needs any prep work and takes about 5-10 minutes of your life. Hey! for a healthier yummy dessert, that's pretty decent! Impress your friends by making this simple, easy and refreshing dessert.
To make tis recipe vegan, simply replace cream with coconut cream and replace meringues with either candied nuts for texture or just completely skip them.
Add chia seeds and water in a container and let it soak overnight (if you are running low on time, soak for at least 30-60mins). Hydrated chia seeds consistency should be not too runny, if you can scoop it and it stays on the spoon that’s what you are after. I really wish I had better words to describe this! >_<
- Anyway, next add cream and sugar in a mixing bowl and whip until soft peaks are formed. If you don’t want to use cream, you can use coconut cream instead.
- Chop strawberries into quarters or into small cubes.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces in a microwavable bowl and melt until smooth consistency. Use short bursts of 20-30secs to melt and avoid burning the chocolate.
- Grab a glass (tall-ish) or a jar and add 3-4tbsp of whipped cream.
- Then add the chopped strawberries or whatever fruit you are using, into the glass.
- Then add 3-4tbsp of hydrated chia seeds on top of the strawberries/fruit followed by meringues (if you are using them).
- Then add another layer of berries, I’m using blueberries for the second layer.
- Add 1-2tbsp cream on top, 1tbsp of crushed raspberry meringues and then a cherry on the very top. Again, the meringue and cherry are optional.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate on top and you're ready to go! Enjoy!